In this Asian recipe discover the Austrian rendition. With a paneer based dough and a low-fat carrot based filling, these vegetarian dumplings are a healthy feast.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Total Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Ingredients Of Austrian Dumplings
200 gm cottage cheese
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp semolina
1 Tbsp couscous
Pinch of salt
Half cut lemon
100 gm carrots
1/2 inch ginger
How to Make Austrian Dumplings
- Take 200 gms of paneer and squeeze it/mash it. Add semolina, flour and couscous and a pinch of salt and mix it either by hand or with a mixture. The consistency of the dough will depend upon the moisture in the paneer. Higher the moisture, better the dough. You may also add a little lemon juice in case you like it to be a little sour. Once the dough is ready, keep it in the fridge for an hour.
- Rub a little flour on your hands and on your work surface to ensure that the dough does not stick to either.
- Take a ball of dough and flatten it. Fill it with the mixture made of carrots, ginger and raisins ground together in a bit of olive oil, and seal the dough back together with the filling inside.
- Rub the dumpling in a bit of flour to ensure that it does not stick.
- Once the uncooked dumplings are ready, drop them gently in soft boiling water (simmering water).
- When dropped in boiling water, they will instantly drown. Once cooked, they will float back up to the surface.
- Pull them out of the water and serve.
- They can also be rolled in breadcrumbs or flack seeds to add flavour.