New committee to submit report within 45 days to remove AFSPA from Nagaland

A Central Government Committee is being constituted to remove the Armed Forces Special Power Act (AFSPA) from Nagaland. The Nagaland government has said that the committee will submit its report in 45 days and based on its recommendations, a decision is to be taken to exclude the list of "disturbed" areas and remove AFSPA from Nagaland. The state government said union home minister Amit Shah had held a meeting on December 23 on the current situation in Nagaland.

The meeting comes after 14 civilians were killed in firing by security forces at Oting in the Mon district of the state earlier this month. Nagaland Government has issued a statement saying that it was also discussed in the meeting that the Court of Inquiry is about to initiate disciplinary action against the Army unit and army personnel directly involved in the Oting incident and action is going to be taken soon. The person facing the investigation is going to be suspended with immediate effect.

Where it has been found that the committee is being headed by the additional secretary (North East) of the Union Home Ministry. In addition, members will also include the Chief Secretary of Nagaland and representations of BGP, IGAR (N), and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF). It is also said that the state government will provide government jobs to the family members of those killed in the incident.

Resolution passed against AFSPA in Nagaland Assembly: According to information received so far, the meeting was attended by Nagaland CM Nefu Rio, Deputy Chief Minister Y Patton, Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma, and NPFLP leader TR Zeliang. The state government has demanded peace from people from all communities. On December 4-5, 13 of the 14 people killed in three shooting incidents by army personnel belonged to the Konyak tribe, one of Nagaland's major tribes. After the incident, several organizations, including the Nagaland CM, had started demanding the removal of AFSPA from the state.

Amit Shah has said in the Lok Sabha about the incident that the Army had come to know about the activities of militants in Mon district following which a unit of '21 Para Commandos' conducted an inquiry. He expressed grief over the death of civilians in the firing and said that security forces had fired in self-defense.

CM Uddhav Thackeray took credit for the demand for booster dose of PM Modi's decision

Kapil Mishra hits back at Owaisi's threat

CM Nitish's big announcement on night curfew amid 'Omicron' crisis

- Sponsored Advert -

Most Popular

- Sponsored Advert -