Attack on U.N. Convoy, Italian Ambassador, Two Others Killed

Three people were killed Monday in an attack on a UN convoy in the east of the Congo.  Italy's ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo, his Italian bodyguard and a Congolese driver were killed in the attack. 

The convoy was attacked at around 10:15am local time near the town of Kanyamahoro, a few kilometres north of the regional capital Goma. The assailants stopped the convoy by firing warning shots, killed the Congolese driver and were leading the passengers into the forest when park rangers opened fire. In a statement, the Italian government has confirmed the deaths of the ambassador, Luca Attanasio, 43; Italian military policeman Vittorio Iacovacci, 30; and their Congolese driver. 

Italian President Sergio Mattarella condemned the attack and offered his deepest condolences" to the families of the victims.He said,  "The Italian republic is in mourning for these servants of the state who lost their lives."

Congo’s foreign minister Marie Ntumba Nzeza said, “I promise the Italian government that my country’s government will do everything to discover who is behind this awful murder."

Also Read: 

Russia welcomes Iran-IAEA deal to carry on essential nuclear verification

5 lakh people died in America so far due to Coronavirus

Queen Elizabeth II to make Commonwealth TV address On March 7

 

 

- Sponsored Advert -

Most Popular

- Sponsored Advert -