Bangalore: Tragic Death of Toddler Raises Concerns Over NIMHANS Treatment Delay
Bangalore: Tragic Death of Toddler Raises Concerns Over NIMHANS Treatment Delay

Bengaluru: A one-and-a-half-year-old child with head injuries, rushed from Hassan to NIMHANS, has died, with parents accusing the premier hospital of treatment delay. The parents claim they were made to wait over an hour at NIMHANS for admission.

The incident occurred on Wednesday, and the hospital, in a statement issued on Thursday, explained to the patient's family that the prognosis was "poor," based on clinical and radiological findings. They also informed the parents that a ventilator bed was unavailable.

The hospital's statement mentioned that the patient had severe bradycardia (slow heart rate) and went into cardiac arrest at 3 PM, unable to be revived despite best efforts.

According to NIMHANS, the male child, who had fallen from a height of four feet, was initially taken to Hassan Institute of Medical Sciences on Tuesday at 7 PM. The infant had suffered a severe brain injury, and as the prognosis was poor, the parents were advised not to shift the child to the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences (NIMHANS).

However, the child was brought to NIMHANS in an ambulance on ventilator support at around 2:30 PM on Wednesday, it added.

NIMHANS explained the medical condition of the child and the clinical investigation done, stating that the patient received supportive measures. However, the infant went into cardiac arrest at 3 PM and could not be revived. "He was declared dead at 4.05 PM on Wednesday," the hospital added.  Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said he would discuss the matter with NIMHANS director when reporters asked him about the incident.

Hostage Situation Unfolds in UP as Groom's Second Marriage Revealed

Judicial Scrutiny: Karnataka High Court's Stance on Chief Minister's Signatures

AAP Leader Arvind Kejriwal Directed to Appear in Goa Court on November 29

Related News
Join NewsTrack Whatsapp group