Soccer icon David Beckham turned 44 years old on May 2. The world knows David Beckham as the legendary footballer. But fewer people know that the ace footballer also has a peculiar dressing style through which he makes much hearts to beat. Many people are born with the fashion bone and indeed David Beckham owns one. On the birthday of the legendary footballer, let's check out some of his facts.
- His full name is David Robert Joseph Beckham.
- David Beckham's favorite class in elementary school was art.
- When he was 11, he won the coveted Bobby Charlton Soccer Schools National Skills competition. The win earned Beckham a trip to Barcelona, where he drew the attention of a Manchester United soccer talent scout.
- At the age of only 16, he dropped out of school and began playing for Manchester United's junior team. He played his first pro game for Manchester two years later when he was only 18 years old. He was slowly growing a reputation for his ability to execute free kicks and score goals, often times in sensational fashion or at critical moments of the game.
- Despite failing to retain the Premier League title in 1998, Beckham was named to England's World Cup squad, and he signed a five-year, $12.5 million contract with Manchester United.
- Beckham reached super fame when he began dating Victoria "Posh Spice" Adams in 1997. The couple became tabloid royalty and were often seen out wearing matching designer outfits.
- The wedding of "Posh and Becks" two years later garnered breathless international coverage. The daylong gala reportedly cost $800,000. Adams wore a diamond-encrusted crown, and Beckham wore an ivory suit. Beckham and Adams appeared at the end of the affair in matching purple outfits.
- The couple sold the pictures of their wedding to OK! magazine for $2.2 million.
- In 2002, David helped England advance to the quarter-finals of the World Cup in South Korea and Japan. Unfortunately, David and his team lost to Brazil that year.
- When he went to play for Real Madrid, David had to choose a new jersey number. His old number, #7, was already taken. He chose #23 because it was Michael Jordan's number.
- David Beckham was searched for more than any other sports topic on Google in 2003 and 2004.
- David and Victoria purchased a home in Beverly Hills for $22 million. Their neighbors include Jay Leno and Tom Cruise.
- Within 48 hours of David Beckham signing with the team, the Galaxy sold more than 5,000 season tickets.
- Tom Cruise hosted a "Welcome to L.A." party for the couple after Beckham joined the Galaxy in 2007.
- By the time he was healed and ready to play, it seemed like it was already too late. Despite scoring a goal and assisting his American teammate Landon Donovan, the Galaxy failed to qualify for the end of season playoffs.
- He suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Everything has to be strictly organized and, if possible, in pairs.
- Beckham makes a cameo appearance with Zinedine Zidane and Raúl, in the 2005 film Goal!: The Dream Begins.
- Beckham himself appears in the sequel Goal! 2: Living the Dream...
- David Beckham is six-feet tall and weighs 163 lbs.
- He has his own fragrance called Homme by David Beckham.
- By 2013, Beckham had become credited as England's wealthiest sportsman, reportedly earning more than $46 million annually.
- In February 2014, MLS announced Beckham and a group of investors would own an expansion team in Miami, which would begin play in 2016 or 2017.
- Some other endorsements include Armani, Diet Coke, Burger King, and Samsung, which in 2012 earned him $27.7 million.
- David Beckham's net worth is $350 million.