May 21 is indeed a special day for all the Malayalam film audiences, as it was on this day that, Mohanlal, the much-celebrated actor of the State, was born. One of the finest actors in Indian cinema Mohanlal turns 59 today. On this special occasion let’s talk about some lesser known facts of the ‘Lucifer’ actor.
- Mohanlal was a state level boxing champion, in the year 1977-78.
- Mohanlal's real name is Mohanlal Viswanathan Nair. Among his fans, he is fondly known as 'Lalettan'.
- Bollywood Megastar Amitabh Bachchan, who is a self-confessed Mohanlal fan, once called him "the most realistic actor India has ever produced".
- Aishwarya Rai made her acting debut against Mohanlal in Iruvar(Tamil).
- In 2010, Mohanlal was ranked 80th position in Reader's Digest's India's most trusted people.
- In 2009, Mohanlal became the first Indian actor to be given the honorary rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Territorial Army of India.
- He is the only South Indian actor to receive IIFA award, for his performance in Bollywood film, Company.
- In 1986, 34 films of Mohanlal were released. Of these, 25 films were clean hits at the Box Office.
- He is the first South Indian actor to be given the honorary Black Belt Of Taekwondo by The World Taekwondo Headquarters, in Seoul, Korea.
- Mohanlal's first film 'Thiranottam' was released after 25 years.
- Mohanlal considered Dubai as his second home.
- Mohanlal is the highest-paid actor in the Malayalam film industry.
- He is an active blogger and often writes about cultural and politically-relevant topics in his blog, The Complete Actor.
- In 2013, Indian Medical Association awarded IMA award to Mohanlal.
- Tamil filmmaker Mani Ratnam once said that he had a tough time directing Mohanlal in the 1997-film, Iruvar. The acclaimed director said that while shooting for the film, he would often forget to say cut as he was transfixed by Mohanlal's acting prowess.