Colleges come under COMEDK will not share its MBBS and BDS seats for government quota

May 28 2016 10:26 AM
Colleges come under COMEDK will not share its MBBS and BDS seats for government quota

From this year, 12 private medical colleges and 24 dental colleges which come under the umbrella of COMEDK will not share its MBBS and BDS seats for government quota.

The decision has been announced by the Karnataka Professional Colleges Foundation (KPCF), on thursday.

Now, the common entrance test conducted by Karnataka Examination Authority will be valid only to fill the seats in 15 government medical colleges.

MR Jayaram, secretary of KPCF said that "this year NEET will be conducted to fill the MBBS and BDS seats in private colleges and all these developments (SC's direction of conducting NEET and NEET ordinance) have taken place after the consensual agreement was signed between KPCF and the state government to share the seats. But now since NEET is conducted for private colleges this consensual agreement is invalid."

He further added that "as per the Supreme Court directions 15% seats will be reserved for NRI students. Of the remaining 85% seats, not even a single seat will be shared as government quota in the private colleges."

But from 85% seats, 50% of the seats will be reserved for SC, ST and OBC categories.

There are around 1,500 medical and 1,600 dental seats in private colleges.

"COMEDK will do the counselling for MBBS and BDS seats in private colleges after the NEET results are out and an oversee committee formed by the state government will monitor it, this will ensure more transparency", AS Srikanth, chief executive of COMEDK said.

© 2019 News Track Live - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED