Lachha paratha is a popular multi layered shallow fried north Indian flat bread , and preparing it, is an epitome of cooking art which tells us how one can make delicious and tempting food from common ingredients by just deploying a new technique.
2 cups whole wheat flour
Water to make dough
Salt to taste
1 cup ghee (clarified butter)
1. Mix the flour and salt and knead into a soft dough with a little water at a time. Keep aside.
2. Mix 3 tbsps of ghee with 1 tbsp of flour and keep aside.
3. Divide the dough into equal-sized balls. Divide each ball into 2 portions.
4. Take each portion and roll into a long, finger-thick noodle shape.
5. Coil the first shape into a spiral.
6. Flour a rolling surface lightly and very gently roll out the spiral into a flat circle.
7. Grease the top surface with the ghee-flour mix.
8. Roll the next shape in the same way and place over the first circle. This makes one Lachcha Paratha. Make up all the remaining dough the same way.
9. Heat a flat pan on a medium flame.
10. Fry each paratha like this: After placing it on the pan the first time, turn after 30 seconds. Spread ghee on the top surface and turn again. Grease the side now on top. Turn often and fry till crisp and golden.
Serve crispy paratha hot !