Indian Hockey team won many gold medals and made India proud at the international level. There are many Indian hockey players who have given phenomenal performances but when its come to best hockey players till date, the one name which strikes our mind is Major Dhyan Chand. He was known as Hockey wizard due to his magical performance on the field. On the occasion of her birthday, we bring you the interesting facts about him which you would like to know.
1. He joined the British Indian Army as a Sepoy at the age of 16 years
2. Originally the name of Dhyan Chand was Dhyan Singh but his friends gave him the new name as he used to practice in light of Chand (Moon).
3. Adolf Hitler was very much impressed with the game of Dhyan Chand that he offered him German citizenship and the rank of Colonel in his army.
4. He helped India in winning three Olympic gold medals (1928, 1932 and 1936).
5. His game was so magical that once his hockey was broken to check is there is any magnet in his hockey stick.
6. Indian government rewarded his talent with Padma Bhusan in 1956. His birthday 29th August is celebrated as the National Sports Day. Dhyan Chand Award is given by the Ministry Of Youth Affairs and Sports, Govt. Of India for lifetime achievement in the field of sports and games.
This legend passed away on 3 December 1979 at the age of 74, on occasion we remember him for his magnificent contribution to hockey.