Jammu and Kashmir: 10 people killed in tunnel accident, FIR lodged for negligence

The rescue operation that began after a portion of an under-construction tunnel collapsed on the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway in the Ramban district of Jammu and Kashmir has come to an end. In fact, regarding this case, the officials said that nine bodies have been recovered from the debris after the landslide. By Saturday, the number of people killed in this accident has gone up to 10. Two days ago, part of an under-construction tunnel on the National Highway collapsed. After that, the labourers got stuck here. Ramban Poverty Commissioner Musarrat Islam said, "All the 10 bodies have been recovered and the families of the deceased have been informed. 10 to 5 bodies belong to people from West Bengal. This operation is over. The bodies have been sent to the hospital.''

In this case, Ramban SSP Mohita Sharma had said in the afternoon, "So far, nine bodies have been recovered from the spot, perhaps one body is left. Of the nine dead, five were from West Bengal, one in Assam, two in Nepal and two were locals. An FIR has been lodged on charges of negligence. With the recovery of the bodies of all the missing labourers, the two-day long rescue operation came to an end late on Saturday evening. On the intervening night of Thursday and Friday soon after the incident, rescue teams pulled three people out of the debris and rushed them to the hospital. Earlier, the authorities had said that a portion of the under-construction tunnel at Khooni Nallah in Ramban district collapsed soon after the work on the project started. However, on Saturday, Ramban Deputy Commissioner Musarrat Islam quoted the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) as saying that there was a landslide at the mouth of the Edit Tunnel till T4.

Islam tweeted: "It has been clarified by NHAI. Therefore, it is informed that there is no tunnel near the bloody drain. On Thursday night, there was a landslide at the mouth of the Edit Tunnel till T4. Workers were working here. The operation continues. The body of one person was recovered on Friday, while the condition of three rescued persons, including two locals, is under control.'' In this case, officials said that another body was exhumed after several hours of search on Saturday. It took rescuers more than two hours to retrieve the body from under the rocks. Also, officials said eight more bodies were later fished out and taken to the hospital.

He said the workers died of stone falling. On the other hand, the deputy commissioner said, "The bodies of all the missing labourers were recovered after a landslide outside the mouth of the tunnel during the day-long search by rescuers. One body was recovered on Friday and three people were rescued. Nine more bodies were found on Saturday. Apart from this, Islam said that all the bodies have been sent to the hospital for identification and other legal formalities. He said that an immediate ex-gratia of Rs 25,000 from the Red Cross Fund and Rs 25,000 from the company is being given to the kin of the two local labourers. The dead include both workers. The rest of the dead include labourers from West Bengal, Nepal and Assam.

Dinesh Karthik's tweet ahead of Delhi-Mumbai match goes viral, RCB player in MI's jersey

Sri Lanka receives another 40,000 metric tonnes of diesel from India

If Delhi loses to Mumbai then 'Bangalore' will benefit, in Head to Head, know who is heavy on whom"

- Sponsored Advert -

Most Popular

- Sponsored Advert -