Balasore: At least 28 people fell ill on Wednesday after breathing in ammonia gas that was leaking from a shrimp processing facility in the Balasore district of Odisha.
Police officers and a fire rescue team reached the prawn factory named Highland Agro Food Private Limited and rescued 28 workers and sent them to Khantapada Hospital. An official said that out of them, 15 were sent to Balasore and other hospitals.
According to reports, the tragedy happened at around 7 o'clock in the village of Gadabahanaga in the Khantapada region of the district.
"15 people were referred to Balasore while 28 were admitted to the local community health centre at Khantapada. Only 7 employees have so far been sent to the hospital in the Balasore district headquarters, and of them, 4 are in critical condition "Dr. Julalsen Jagdev, the chief district medical officer for Balasore, said this yesterday. He added that the personnel who were exposed to the gas complained of throat, nose, and respiratory tract burning.
"Lower amounts of the substance can irritate the nose, throat, and induce coughing. Many of them complained of having trouble breathing and having their eyes irritated. We provide them with oxygen so they can breathe. It is unknown how the other 8 employees are doing, including whether they were sent to Cuttack or Bhubaneswar or admitted to another hospital "he said.
Balasore parliament member and former Union Minister Pratap Sadangi met the workers at the hospital and discussed their health state of affairs with the doctors.