- Take 1 teaspoon instant yeast (rapid rise yeast) or 1.5 teaspoons dry active yeast or 1 tablespoon fresh yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in a small bowl.
- Add 1 cup of lukewarm water. Make sure that the water is not hot or cold. . Mix it well.
- Keep in a warm place until the yeast becomes frothy. For instant yeast keep for 5 minutes and for dry active yeast keep for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In the meantime take 3 cups of all-purpose flour or bread flour – unbleached or organic (360 grams) and 1 teaspoon salt in a large tray or board or a large bowl. You can also use a stand mixer for kneading dough.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil – any neutral oil or olive oil. Oil can be swapped for 1 tablespoon butter (dairy or vegan).
- Add the frothy bubbly yeast mixture to the flour.
- Mix with a wooden spoon and you will see that the dough becoming sticky.
- Now start kneading the dough for atleast 8 to 10 minutes or until you get a soft smooth, pliable and light consistency.
- Cover your bread dough loosely with a large bowl or a kitchen napkin and keep at room temperature to leaven. I used the same plate in which I kneaded the dough. You can brush some oil on the dough prior to leavening it. Keep doe atleast for one hour.
- Now grease or brush a loaf pan with oil. On a lightly floured surface, lightly knead the dough. This will deflate the dough.
- Flatten the dough with your fingers to a round or square shape. Then begin to roll it.
- Cover the loaf pan with a kitchen towel. Keep it in a warm place.
- The loaf will rise in volume. Remember to preheat your oven 20 minutes prior to baking. Preheat at 190 degrees Celsius (375 degrees Fahrenheit).
- sharp knife or a lame, make one long slash or two slashes lengthwise on the center of the dough about ¼ inch deep.
- Place the loaf pan in the preheated oven. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius (375 degrees Fahrenheit) until the loaf is golden brown. You will also see the sides slightly separated from the pan.
- Wait for 3 to 4 minutes after the bread is out of the oven. Firstly tap the bread and it should sound hollow – which means that the bread is baked well.
Benefits of having Dates
India's healthcare sector to reach USD197 bn by 2025
Why are people starving to death even after Food Security Act? SC seeks response from Centre