Share:
Roger Federer suffered second loss at Miami Open, will missed French Open
Roger Federer suffered second loss at Miami Open, will missed French Open

 

After going 17-0 in 2018, 36-year-old, suffered his second consecutive defeat when he lost to a qualifier ranked 175th in the world. Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis’s 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 win meant Federer was out of Miami Open in the second round and will concede the World No 1 ranking back to Rafael Nadal – who is readying himself for the clay season after a recurrence of the leg injury in Mexico earlier.

Speaking of clay, Federer further announced he will be skipping the entire clay season, including the French Open, just as he did in 2017, to give his body time to unwind for Wimbledon. Federer said the decision to skip French Open was made before the defeat on Saturday. Kokkinakis, 21, had come close to calling time on his career after string of injuries over the course of two years. He needed a wildcard to gain entry into the Miami Open and became the lowest ranked player to beat a No. 1 since Francisco Clavet, then No. 178, beat Lleyton Hewitt at this tournament in 2003.

“I deserve it after this match,” said Federer, 36, who returned to No. 1 last month and became the oldest player to hold the top spot. “That’s how I feel. It’s so bad.” Federer’s exit in the second round is bound to affect the attendance at an ATP Masters 1000 and WTA Premier Mandatory event which has seen exits of Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams, Simona Halep and Caroline Wozniacki.

Related News
Join NewsTrack Whatsapp group