- Ingredients for the Sambar Recipe:
1 cup tuvar or arhar dal
1 to 1.5 cups, cleaned and chopped vegetables - okra, french beans, potatoes, shallots or onions, small round brinjals, tomatoes
1 tbsp seedless tamarind/imli soaked in ½ cup water
1 to 1.5 tbsp sambar powder ½ tsp red chilli powder ½ tsp turmeric a pinch of asafoetida
2.5 to 3 cups water for pressure cooking the dal
2 cups water to be added later
salt as required
2-3 tbsp oil
2 to 3 dry red chillies
1 tsp mustard seeds/rai
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds/methi seeds (optional)
a pinch or two of asfoetida/hing
2 to 3 cloves garlic - crushed lightly with the peels (optional)
12 to 15 curry leaves
1. first soak the tamarind in warm water for 30 mins. pick and rinse the dal in water well.
2.boil dal in 2.5 to 3 cups water in the pressure cooker for 8-9 whistles on medium to high flame. the dal should become soft and mushy.
3. once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
4. now add the chopped veggies, turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida and salt. add 2 cup water and stir well.
5. pressure cook again for 1 whistle on medium to high flame. once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
6. add the sambar powder and tamarind pulp. if the consistency of sambar is thick, then add some water.
7. keep the cooker on the stove and and then simmer the sambar for 10-12 minutes on a low flame.
8. keep on stirring at intervals so that the dal does not stick to the bottom. switch off and keep the sambar covered.
9. in a small pan, heat oil. crackle the mustard seeds first.
10. then add the fenugreek seeds, garlic, red chilies, asafoetida and curry leaves.
11. fry till the garlic turns a light brown and the red chilies change color. pour the whole tempering in the steaming hot sambar. close with a lid so that the flavors infuse for about 5-6 minutes.
12. later stir and then serve the vegetable sambar with steamed rice or idli or dosa or medu vada.