The decision of Rafael deal dismissed by SC

May 25 2019 05:45 PM
The decision of Rafael deal dismissed by SC

The government has given a written submission to the Supreme court pleading that the Rafale review plea is dismissed. In its submission, the government said that the interference in Rafale deal would adversely affect the operational preparedness of the Indian Air Force (IAF). The government further said that the schedule of delivery and the training of the pilots is being closely monitored.

On May 10, the Supreme Court had reserved judgment on review petitions seeking review of the December 14 judgment in which the Supreme Court refused to order a probe into allegations of corruption into the Rafale deal. In the petition, Prashant Bhushan, one of the petitioners along with Yashwant Sinha and Arun Shourie, argued that the facts presented by the government are incorrect and incomplete.

While the government had previously argued that the petitions were based on documents 'stolen' from the Defence Ministry, the apex court had ruled that 'stolen' documents were admissible in the court.

read: Jagan Reddy to meet PM Modi on Sunday

In its final submission in the apex court on Saturday, the government said that adequate safeguards have been incorporated in the Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA) between India and France to ensure smooth implementation of the project.

The government's submission comes on the backdrop of the massive political storm around the purchase of 36 Rafale fighter jets by the Indian government from French defence major Dassault.

Congress president Rahul Gandhi built a campaign around the deal targeting the ruling dispensation — and PM Modi in particular — alleging corruption in the deal. His slogan Chowkidaar chor Hain formed a key element of the Congress campaign in the run-up to the elections

© 2016 News Track Live - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED