Mumbai: Three labourers on Friday reportedly died as a result of inhaling toxic fumes while cleaning a septic tank at a local condominium in Nallasopara area of Mumbai. Reports assert that the tragic incident took place in the early hours of May 3. A case has been registered against supervisor Abu Siddique Sheikh and builder Ramesh Bhora in this regard by the Mumbai police and an investigation into the matter is currently underway.
According to a report by Mumbai Mirror, police have booked the concerned men under section 304-A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). Police have identified the three victims as Sunil Chawaria, Pradeep Sarwate, and Bika Kaisan Bumbak. They were called to work on plumbing at the Anand View Apartment in Nilemore, Nallasopara West.
An official said that the two deceased were among six workers who had been removing liquified waste from the tank since Thursday afternoon. They were working until midnight which is when one of them decided to climb into the septic tank in order to clean the sludge at the bottom of the tank. The worker who went inside screamed for help, The other workers reportedly saw the worker lying unconscious, which is when two other workers decided to go down in order to help him. However, they too passed out as soon as they entered the septic tank.
The victims were then taken to a primary health centre in Nalasopara, where doctors declared them dead on arrival.
Police said, none of the workers was provided with safety gear such as oxygen masks or other equipment which could have saved their lives.