As volcanic eruptions began on the eastern Caribbean island in St. Vincent last week with the release of large amounts of ash and hot gas, the authorities are deeply distressed over the lives of the people still present in the area. Experts have called it a "huge explosion". The lava emanating from the volcano due to the eruption is flowing towards the south and southwest. "This (the lava emitted from the volcano) has been destroyed," said Erucilla Joseph, director of the University of the West Indies Seismic Research Center.
He said, "Those who have not left, leave the area as soon as possible" There is no immediate casualty in the incident although the government officials did not react to the Monday blast which took place on Friday morning. Was more powerful than the explosion. Nearly 16,000 people live near the volcano and on Thursday, on the orders of the government, they have been evacuated and sent to a safe place. But still many people are refusing to move from there. Richard Robertson, associated with the Seismic Research Center, told local radio station NBC Radio that the volcano's old and new estuary has been destroyed and a new crater has been created.
A government minister visiting the area on Sunday said that around 24 to 36 people are still living in Sandy Bay, after which PM Ralph Gonzalvis appealed to the people to leave the area. Gonzalvis said that the government officials held a meeting on Monday afternoon and discussed the problem faced by the food supply. He said that it would take at least three to four months to get life back on track in St. Vincent. Deputy Prime Minister Montgomery Daniels told the radio station that the northeastern region of the island had suffered more damage. The forests and fields have been destroyed.