2 litres full-cream milk
1 can (400 gms) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup Basmati rice
50 gms almonds blanched and slivered
50 gms raisins
A few strands of saffron
Rose petals to garnish (optional)
1. Wash the rice well and soak for half an hour in enough water to cover it fully.
2. Put the milk, condensed milk and sugar in a deep, thick-bottomed pan and boil. When the milk comes to a boil, add the rice and simmer. Cook till the milk thickens and reduces to half its original volume.
3. Add the almonds, raisins and cardamom and cook for 5 more minutes.
4. Turn off the fire and add the saffron. Stir well.
5. Allow the kheer to cool, then chill. Serve cold garnished with rose petals and dry fuits!