1 cup sabudana or tapioca pearls
2 small to medium size potatoes
½ cup roasted peanuts
8-10 curry leaves(optional)
1 tsp grated ginger (optional)
1 green chili, chopped
1 tsp cumin
¼ cup grated fresh coconut (optional)
½ to 1 tsp sugar or as required
½ to 1 tsp lemon juice or as required (optional)
2 tbsp oil
rock salt as required
1. soak sabudana overnight or for 3-5 hours.
2. next day drain the sabudana very well and keep aside in a bowl.
3. boil the potatoes and when warm peel and chop them.
4. in a pan dry roast the peanuts till browned and when cooled make a coarse powder in a mortar-pestle or in a dry grinder.
5. mix the coarsely powdered peanuts, salt and sugar with the drained sabudana.
6. now heat oil. fry the cumin first till they crackle and get browned.
7. now add the curry leaves and green chilies. fry for half a minute and then add the grated ginger.
8. stir till the raw smell of the ginger goes away. now add potato and saute for 1-2 minutes.
9. add the sabudana. keep on stirring the mixture.
10. when the sabudana looses their opaqueness and starts becoming translucent they are cooked.
11. don't over cook as they might become lumpy and hard.
12. lastly add grated coconut. mix well. close the fire.
13. while serving garnish sabudana khichdi with coriander leaves and drizzle with some lemon juice.
Serve sabudana khichdi hot With Curd !