Holi is one of the best occasion to enjoy the delicious Puran Poli. It is a Puran Poli is a sweet flatbread which is served on auspicious occasions like Holi. Although many believe that the dish originated in Maharashtra, it is prepared in other parts of India. Lets know the recipe.
2 cups flour, 3 cups chana Dal, 3 cups sugar or jaggery, 1 cup ghee, 5 powdered cardamoms, ¼ nutmeg, Water as required and Salt as per taste
1. First of all Mix flour with water and knead well to make a stiff dough.
2. Cover it and keep aside for 2 hours.
3. Pressure cook the dal and strain out the water.
4. Once the dal has cooled, add sugar and 1 tbsp of ghee.
5. Cook on low flame till the gram mixture is soft and sticky.
6. Knead the dough again, adding salt, water and oil.
7. Grind the dal and sugar mixture to a smooth consistency. You can add a little milk if the mixture gets dry. Add cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
8. Take a lime-sized lump of the dough. Roll out two rounds of dough.
9. Take one round and cover with dal mixture.
10. Keep the other round over it and seal the edges. Roll again to seal them together.
11. Heat ghee on the griddle and put the puran poli on it.
Keep pressing and turning till it cooks well.