How alcohol affects the body and brain

Apr 24 2019 05:38 PM
How alcohol affects the body and brain

According to a study by David Natta, a British psychiatrist and pharmacologist, alcohol is the most harmful substance for humans. More harmful than heroin, cocaine, LSD and other drugs. We decided to figure out how alcohol affects our body and whether it is worth worrying about how much alcohol we consume.

Have you thought about how many people drink alcohol?

According to  statistics from the  American Institute for Combating Alcoholism, 87% of people aged 18 years and older used alcohol during their lifetime. 71% consumed alcohol in the last year, 56% - in the last month.

also read: Vitamin B12 deficiency in your body can lead to many diseases; read causes and remedies here

If you take into account the harm for the person and others, alcohol - is the most harmful drug in the world. More harmful than heroin, cocaine, marijuana and methamphetamine. This is primarily due to the amount of product consumed. Alcohol is more popular than any other narcotic substance.

Approximately 20% of alcohol consumed is absorbed by the stomach. The remaining 80% is sent to the small intestine. How quickly alcohol is absorbed depends on its concentration in the drink. The higher it is, the faster the intoxication will occur. Vodka, for example, is absorbed much faster than beer. A full stomach also slows down the absorption and the appearance of an intoxicating effect.

After alcohol has entered the stomach and small intestine, it is sent through the bloodstream throughout the body. At this time, our body is trying to bring it.

The liver copes with the rest of alcohol, which is why it is the organ that is hardest hit. There are two main reasons alcohol causes damage to the liver:

Oxidative (oxidative) stress. As a result of chemical reactions that accompany the withdrawal of alcohol with the help of the liver, its cells may be affected. The body will try to cure itself, and because of this, inflammation or scarring can begin.
Toxins in intestinal bacteria. Alcohol can damage the intestines, causing intestinal bacteria to enter the liver and cause inflammation.

Alcohol effect does not occur immediately, but only after several steps. It occurs when the amount of incoming alcohol exceeds the amount that is excreted by the body.

How alcohol affects the brain

Stray language, naughty parts of the body and memory loss are all symptoms of the effect of alcohol on the brain. Frequently consumed people begin to experience problems with coordination, balance and common sense. One of the main symptoms is a hindered reaction, so drivers are prohibited from driving under the influence of alcohol.

Neurotransmitters are responsible for handling external stimuli, emotions and behavior. They can either initiate electrical activity in the brain or inhibit it.

One of the most important inhibitory neurotransmitters is gamma-aminobutyric acid. Alcohol enhances its effect, thereby making movements and speech of drunk people slow.

How to reduce the negative effect of alcohol

Stop drinking . But you hardly decide on this.

Therefore, here are some more benign tips that will help reduce the effect of alcohol on the body:

also read: Health benefits of Coriander water in summer

  • Drink plenty of water. Alcohol removes fluid from the body. Ideally, you should drink an extra liter of water , or two, if you know that you are going to drink alcohol.
  • Eat As already mentioned, a full stomach slows down the absorption of alcohol, thereby giving the body time to gradually remove it.
  • Do not lean on fatty foods. Yes, fats create a film that interferes with the absorption of alcohol by the stomach, but an excessive amount of fatty food hurts rather than becomes useful.
  • Avoid carbonated beverages. The carbon dioxide contained in them accelerates the absorption of alcohol.
  • If you just want to support the company and are not going to get drunk, then the best option is one strong drink per hour. By following this rule, you give the body time to remove alcohol.
© 2019 News Track Live - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED