Chawal ka Cheela, also known as rice pancakes, is a delicious and nutritious Indian dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's a versatile dish that you can customize with various fillings and spices. In this article, we'll guide you through the process of preparing the ideal Chawal ka Cheela in simple steps.
Ingredients You'll Need
To get started, gather the following ingredients:
For the Cheela Batter:
- 1 cup rice (any variety will do)
- 1/4 cup split yellow lentils (moong dal)
- 1/4 cup split chickpeas (chana dal)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Water (for soaking and grinding)
For the Filling (optional):
- Finely chopped vegetables (onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, etc.)
- Fresh herbs (coriander leaves, mint leaves, etc.)
- Grated cheese (for a cheesy twist)
- Cooked minced meat or tofu (for a protein-packed option)
Let's dive into the process of making Chawal ka Cheela:
Step 1: Prepare the Rice and Lentils
- Wash the rice and lentils thoroughly under running water.
- Soak them in enough water for 4-6 hours or overnight. This helps in easy grinding and enhances the cheela's texture.
Step 2: Grind the Batter
- Drain the soaked rice and lentils.
- Using a blender, grind them into a smooth batter, adding water gradually as needed.
- The batter should be of a dosa-like consistency - not too thick or too thin.
- Add cumin seeds, red chili powder, and salt to the batter. Mix well.
Step 3: Heat the Griddle
- Place a non-stick griddle or a flat pan on medium heat.
- Once hot, lower the flame to medium-low and grease it lightly with oil or ghee.
Step 4: Make the Cheela
- Pour a ladleful of batter onto the center of the griddle.
- Using the back of the ladle, spread it evenly in a circular motion to form a thin pancake.
- If you're adding a filling, sprinkle it over the cheela now.
- Drizzle a little oil or ghee around the edges and on top.
- Cook until the edges turn golden and crispy, and the cheela lifts easily from the pan.
- Flip it over and cook the other side until it's golden as well.
Step 5: Serve Hot
- Transfer the Chawal ka Cheela to a plate.
- Serve hot with your favorite chutney, yogurt, or pickle.
Tips for a Perfect Cheela
- Ensure the batter is smooth without any coarse grains for a great texture.
- Experiment with different fillings to suit your taste preferences.
- Don't rush the cooking process; let it cook until it's properly golden.
- Adjust the spices and seasonings to your liking.
Now that you have the perfect Chawal ka Cheela recipe, try it out and enjoy this wholesome Indian dish at any time of the day. It's a delightful and satisfying addition to your menu.