National Honey Bee Awareness Day is celebrated all over the world on the third Saturday of August every year. It's an important day, which has special significance for beekeepers, beekeeping clubs and associations, and bee enthusiasts across the United States. So let's know today some special things about bees...
- Only the female bee can make honey and they can sting. The male bee is born only to build a relationship with the queen.
- There are more than 20,000 species of bees, although only 4 of them can produce honey.
- The bee digests honey already and therefore it takes only 20 minutes to reach our blood.
- Bee is the only insect on earth by which food consumed is desired.
- To make 1 kg of honey, the whole hive has to suck about 40 million flower juices and fly 90,000 miles. What's more, it's equivalent to three rounds of the earth.
- Honey is a food item that does not spoil for thousands of years.