Peru: Prosecutor requests new preventive detention of Prez candidate Keiko Fujimori

Jun 11 2021 01:02 PM
Peru: Prosecutor requests new preventive detention of Prez candidate Keiko Fujimori

LIMA: Peru's anti-corruption prosecutor Jose Domingo Perez has requested a new pre-trial detention of presidential candidate Keiko Fujimori to desist her from interfering in an ongoing investigation.

Fujimori, who is under investigation in relation to the case of Odebrecht, one of the largest bribery and graft scandals in Latin America, "is communicating with Miguel Torres Morales", a witness to alleged illegal campaign financing for her 2011 and 2016 presidential bids, according to Perez.

"It has been determined once again that the defendant Fujimori Higuchi does not comply with the restriction of not communicating with witnesses," Perez said in a petition sent to Judge Victor Zuniga on Thursday.

Perez noted that during a televised conference of Fujimori's Popular Force party on Wednesday, Torres appeared alongside Keiko, as a lawyer and spokesperson for the political organisation.

At the conference, Torres said the party would move to annul the results of 802 polling stations in Sunday's presidential runoff due to alleged irregularities in the electoral process.

So far, Fujimori's rival Pedro Castillo, of the left-leaning Free Peru party, is leading the vote count, though by a razor-thin margin. Torres has denied witnessing any illicit activities.

CovPass: Germany launches digital vaccination Covid Health pass

US Budget Deficit Grew to Record USD 2.1 Trillion in Fiscal Year's First 8 Months

San Francisco Confirms Full Reopening Plan for Restaurants on June 15