A sweet dish with five simple ingredients to relish the taste buds is Coconut Malai Peda. It is definitely an incredibly delicious, super nutty and a perfect way to satisfy the sweet cravings!! Peda is an Indian Sub-continent small disc-shaped sweet.
The five ingredients:
1. Milk Powder- 2 cups
2. Powdered sugar- 1/2 cup
3. Milk/Cream (Heavy whipping cream) - 1/2 cup
4. Ghee/Clarified Butter - 1/4 cup
5. Dessicated unsweetened Coconut - 1/2 cup
Saffron strands and Cardamom powder to sprinkle on top.
Method of Preparation:
- Combine milk powder, coconut, and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Knead it with the hands to combine.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add ghee and heat. Add the above mixture. Mix it well.
- Add cream and stir well until the mixture starts to come together like dough (7-9 min) in a medium flame. Keep an eye on the pan as the mixture sticks with the bottom quickly and get burnt.
- The cooked mixture looks grainy at this point. Allow it to cool. The mixture will become firm as it cools.
- Once it get cooled, knead the dough until the consistency turns smooth.
- Grease your hands with ghee and take about a golf ball size of dough and roll it into your hands.
- Flatten the ball. Your peda is ready, repeat the process with rest of the mixture.
- Garnish with saffron strands and cardamom powder. The sweet can be used for about a week, if refrigerated.