New Delhi: A top court has passed a major order on a case related to an accused, who has been in judicial custody for eight years under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA). The under-trial accused in the case registered under UAPA has been ordered to be released on bail by the top court. The accused had been in judicial custody for nearly eight years.
The accused, Zahir Haq, was arrested on May 18, 2014, under the UAPA as a partner in the terror plot. Now, on the basis of the continuous delay in his trial, the Supreme Court has ordered the release of the accused on bail. It may be recalled that earlier, the Rajasthan High Court had rejected the bail plea of the accused, Zahir Haq. After this, Zahir Haque challenged the Rajasthan High Court's order while filing a Special Leave Petition in the Supreme Court.
Hearing the matter, the top court said the prosecution wanted to examine 109 witnesses for the trial. So far, only six witnesses have been fully examined. The prosecution had said that the accused, Zahir Haq, was in touch with an accused of the terror outfit Indian Mujahideen, who is the chief of the sleeper cell. So the accused has direct contacts with the terrorist organizations, so releasing him on bail right now would simply mean having an impact on the trial of the case. However, the court set aside this argument and released the accused on bail.