Sahil Kapoor, the Market Strategist and Head of Products at DSP Mutual Fund, reveals his three powerful tools for maintaining mental and physical fitness. In this exclusive interview with ETMarkets, Kapoor shares insights on how he sustains a healthy mind and body while navigating the challenging world of capital markets.
Setting Clear Goals
- Kapoor's first mantra is simplicity: He emphasizes having only a few life goals. This approach reduces mental agitation and the accumulation of unnecessary desires and expectations.
The Power of Reading
- Kapoor's second tool is reading. He believes that reading sharpens the mind and constantly reminds him of how little he knows.
Exercise for a Healthy Body
- The third pillar of Kapoor's fitness regimen is regular exercise. He follows a well-planned schedule and routine, recognizing that a calm mind can only reside in a healthy body.
The Journey to Fitness
- Kapoor's disciplined lifestyle began during his schooling at an Air Force School, where he imbibed the values of discipline. This upbringing, along with the encouragement of his mother, laid the foundation for his disciplined way of life.
- Kapoor's fitness routine includes weightlifting and running on alternate days, six days a week. He maintains this schedule even when traveling and prioritizes his morning routine. Clean eating is a non-negotiable aspect of his fitness regimen, with a focus on a low-carb, high-protein, and high-fat diet.
Finding Inspiration in Discipline
- Kapoor doesn't rely on external motivation or inspiration. He believes that discipline, when firmly established, requires no external encouragement. Setting and achieving short-term goals is his primary source of inspiration.
- Kapoor's journey into reading Shastras, including Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita, started out of curiosity. His mother's discussions about Sant Kabir's Doha sparked his interest in exploring these profound texts.
- Reading Shastras has shaped Kapoor's perspective by emphasizing the interconnectedness and oneness of all things. It has taught him not to assign a black-market value to his personal opinions.
The Path to Meditation
- Kapoor acknowledges that meditation is best practiced with few desires. He is in the process of learning to calm his restless mind. He considers his running sessions and reading as forms of meditation.
- Kapoor's diverse reading interests include Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. He believes in a multi-disciplinary approach to learning and recommends exploring a wide range of disciplines.
Advice for Fund Managers
- Kapoor advises fund managers to simplify their lives by reducing the number of variables. Establish a predefined process and derive enjoyment from it. There are multiple paths to achieving goals; find your own and stick to it.
Sahil Kapoor's holistic approach to mental and physical fitness offers valuable insights for anyone looking to balance the demands of a high-pressure career with a healthy lifestyle.
Are Improved Animal Fat Biofuels More Harmful Than Beneficial?
7 superfoods that will reverse facial aging in 30 days
The best bread in the world