New Delhi: The Supreme Court has adjourned the hearing for July 23 on a petition calling recovery of sabotage damages illegal from Anti-CAA protesters in Uttar Pradesh. The petitioner says the administration had issued notices to the people without any legal basis. In response, the UP government today said that a law has been enacted in this regard. The court indicated that the case would be closed at the next hearing.
In January last year, a petitioner named Parvez Arif Titu had claimed in the Supreme Court that notices were being sent to compensate the minorities in UP for the purpose of harassing them. The petitioner maintained that as per the old judgment of the Supreme Court, the order for assessment and compensation of damages in such cases should have come from the High Court or any judicial institution. But the district administration in UP has issued notices to the people. These notices are also illegal because there is no law in the state.
Earlier in the hearing last year, the apex court had called the recovery from those who ransacked public property justified. But the state government was asked to take a legal stand behind the recovery notices sent to the people. Today, about a year and a half later, the matter came up. A bench of Justices DY Chandrachud and MR Shah was informed on behalf of the petitioner that his chief counsel Nilofer Khan was not in a position to appear for personal reasons. Therefore, the hearing should be postponed. After which the hearing has been adjourned till July 23.