Kabul drone attack: No US troops will be punished for attack, says US Pentagon

WASHINGTON: The US Pentagon has stated that no military troops engaged in a drone strike in Afghanistan's Kabul in August that killed ten civilians, including seven children, will face punishment.

Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby told the media on Monday that US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin had approved recommendations from US Central Command Commander General Kenneth McKenzie and US Special Operations Command Commander General Richard Clarke not to take any administrative action against those involved in the August 29 strike.

According to accounts, the drone strike, which occurred in the closing days of the chaotic US pullout from Afghanistan, was a "tragic mistake" that killed people, including seven children, according to the Defense Department.

Officials from the Pentagon had previously stated that the strike was essential to avoid a "imminent ISIS-K danger" to US forces evacuating people from Kabul's airport.

Islamic States claims responsibility for Friday's Kabul blasts

Qatar, Turkey talk Kabul airport's operation with Taliban: Turkish President

Blast hits Afghan capital Kabul, panic grip among residents

 

 

- Sponsored Advert -

Most Popular

- Sponsored Advert -