Included amongst the holiest shrines of the Hindus, the Amarnath caves are situated at an altitude of 3,888 m from the sea level. Surrounded by beautiful snowy peaks, this beautiful heaven on earth is visited by thousands of Hindu devotees from across the country.
Well, here are some 'must know' facts regarding this immensely heavenly Shrine.
1. The stalagmite of ice is formed during the month of July and is believed to be Shiv Lingam. According to the Hindu mythology, it is this place where Lord Shiva introduced Goddess Parvati to the truth and eternity of life.
2. It is believed that the Shiv Lingam changes its shape with the phases of the moon.
3. According to myths, the valleys of Kashmir submerged in deep waters and was drained by Kashyap Muni. Well, this beautiful place was first of all discovered by Bhrigu Muni, who is also known to have discovered the place.
4. Shiva's Trishul is also referred to as the "Chhadi Mubarak".
5. According to the book Rajatarangini, Queen Suryamathi in the 11th century gifted the temple with Trishuls and Banalingas.
6. Counting from the Pehelgam, the journey takes around 5 days.
You may also read: