New Delhi: Roger Federer has decided to withdraw from the French Open Tennis Grand Slam. In fact, Federer made the decision on Sunday after a tough three-and-a-half hour win in the third round. In a statement issued by the French Tennis Federation (FFT), 20-time Grand Slam champion Federer said, "After two knee surgeries and more than a year of rehabilitation, it is important that I look at my body's needs and make sure I don't move myself too fast during the recovery process".
At the same time, he said, "I am happy that I played three matches, there is nothing better than returning to the court". Federer will turn 40 on August 8 and was playing his first major since the 2020 Australian Open. He had to undergo two surgery on his right knee immediately after that tournament. Federer, who won the French Open title in 2009, played just three matches this season before arriving in Paris for a clay court slam.
Federer made it clear last month that he was not looking ready for the French Open title this time, but his eyes are on grass court Major Wimbledon, in which he has won the title a record 8 times and will begin on June 28 at the All England Club. Federer defeated 59th-ranked Dominic Kofer 7-6 (7/5), 6-7 (3/7), 7-6 (7/4), 7-5 in the third round. The match started on Saturday night and lasted till 1 pm on Sunday.