The first U.S.-China Comprehensive Economic Dialogue (CED) is over -- and not in a way China would have wanted it.

If China was hoping for tea and sympathy from the US for its weeks-long territorial standoff with India in Doklam, it was in for a rude surprise.

Both countries cancelled their press conferences earlier in the day, providing no explanation for the moves but indicating it was unlikely any concrete results had come out of the talks. The US side cancelled its press conference first, the Chinese side followed.

The US delegation released a short statement late on Wednesday. It said: “China acknowledged our shared objective to reduce the trade deficit which both sides will work cooperatively to achieve. The principles of balance, fairness, and reciprocity on matters of trade will continue to guide the American position so we can give American workers and businesses an opportunity to compete on a level playing field,” the statement said. “We look to achieving the important goals set forth by President Trump this past April in Mar-a-Lago.”

Over the past week, the US State Department too have been making similar statements, but Pentagon has sought direct dialogue between India and China on reducing tension "free of any coercive aspects".

 
 
ALSO READ:
Popular Stories