From the first photograph ever taken to the largest photo contest; from tips on how to look prettier on pictures to the cats of the internet. We prepared 10 most interesting, amusing and educating photography facts: whether you are a professional photographer or an amateur, you will definitely find something you didn’t know before.
- Here are some fun facts in photography that you may find amusing.
- The word "photography" originates from Greek, meaning drawing with light.
- The word camera originates from the Latin word “camera obscura” which means “dark chamber”.
- The first ever camera described in the history was a pin hole camera, dating back to 4th or 5th century.
- The first person who managed to make a “photographic” snapshot constant, that is to fix the image was Joseph Niepce. The very first snapshot in the history of photography is considered “view from the window,” dated 1826. The exposure of the shot lasted 8 Hours. That’s the picture above.
- In the 1957 film "12 Angry Men", the focal length of the lenses in the cameras used were gradually increased to create a feeling of claustrophobia (extreme or irrational fear of confined places.).
- The camera that recorded the only known footage of the first plane strike on 9/11 is now in the Smithsonian Museum
- A man sued Blue Man Group claiming he suffered permanent damage to his esophagus when the performers shoved a camera down his throat. It was revealed that it was a camera trick and nothing entered the man’s mouth as the live footage was actually a pre-recorded medical video.
- Most states allow security cameras in dressing rooms, some behind two-way mirrors.
- All sensors of modern cameras only capture in black and white. It then calculates red, green, and blue tints according to the luminance to add color to the picture.
- Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell produces the world's first color photograph in 1861.
- The world's first color picture was a photograph of a tartan ribbon produced by photographing it three times through red, blue, and yellow filters, then recombining the images into one color composite.
- English photographer Eadweard Muybridge produced the first photo on movement in 1878 which subsequently set the stage for the first motion pictures.
- In Japan, their phone’s camera shutter sound cannot be muted. –
- In some cities, police officers were required to wear a camera in order to document their interactions with civilians. In these areas, public complaints against officers dropped by 88%.
- In 1998 Sony released a video cam that could see through clothes while in an infrared recording mode; 600,000 units were recalled.