Dehradun: The deaths of pilgrims due to health-related reasons in Chardham Yatra are not stopping. Since the commencement of the Yatra, 76 pilgrims have succumbed to their injuries on Kedarnath, Yamunotri, Badrinath and Gangotri Yatra routes. Secretary Health has directed to conduct health check-ups of pilgrims above the age of 50 at all medical relief camps and screening points.
This time, the number of deaths of pilgrims in the Chardham Yatra, which began on May 3, is continuously increasing. Due to the corona epidemic, after 2 years, Chardham Yatra is being conducted without any restrictions. But in the high altitude areas, due to bad weather and already due to health problems, the pilgrims are dying during the Yatra.
The health department is conducting medical relief camps at many places on the Yatra routes as well as health screening of passengers. So far, 1.16 lakh pilgrims going to Chardham have been screened for health. Director-General of Health Dr Shailaja Bhatt said that on the directions of Health Secretary Radhika Jha, the CMs of Uttarkashi, Chamoli, and Rudraprayag districts were directed to conduct health screening of pilgrims above the age of 50 who are on the Yatra. He said that the deaths due to the Yatra have taken place so far. The number of people over the age of 50 is more. The Director-General said that due to rain and snowfall in Kedarghati, most of the patients coming to Linchauli hospital are suffering from hypothermia. So far, 29 passengers from Kedarnath Dham have been referred to the higher centre for treatment through heli service and 105 passengers through ambulances.