Paneer Pyaza is a culinary masterpiece that has won the hearts of not just the people of Bihar but also those from its neighboring state, Jharkhand. This delightful dish is a symphony of flavors, combining the richness of paneer (cottage cheese) with the sweetness of onions. In this article, we will take you on a gastronomic journey through the recipe of Paneer Pyaza, a dish that's both easy to make and heavenly to savor.
The Origins of Paneer Pyaza
Paneer Pyaza is believed to have originated in the northern regions of India, where dairy products are a dietary staple. Its popularity gradually spread to Bihar and Jharkhand, where it became an integral part of the local cuisine. The name "Paneer Pyaza" literally translates to "paneer with onions," highlighting the significance of onions in this dish.
Ingredients for Paneer Pyaza
To prepare this mouthwatering dish, you will need the following ingredients:
For the Paneer Marinade:
- 250 grams of paneer (cottage cheese), cubed
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
For the Gravy:
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, pureed
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Cooking oil
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Now, let's dive into the cooking process:
1. Marinating the Paneer
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt.
- Add the paneer cubes to this marinade and let them sit for 15-20 minutes.
2. Frying the Paneer
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the marinated paneer cubes until they turn golden brown.
- Remove the paneer from the pan and keep it aside.
3. Preparing the Gravy
- In the same pan, add some more oil if needed.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add thinly sliced onions and sauté until they become translucent and slightly brown.
4. Adding Spices
- Add green chilies, coriander powder, and garam masala. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and cook until the oil separates from the gravy.
5. Bringing It All Together
- Add the fried paneer cubes to the gravy and mix gently.
- Pour in the fresh cream and kasuri methi.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the paneer absorbs the flavors.
6. Garnish and Serve
- Garnish your Paneer Pyaza with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with naan, roti, or steamed rice.
Why Paneer Pyaza is a Beloved Dish
Paneer Pyaza's popularity can be attributed to its unique combination of flavors. The sweetness of the onions complements the creamy richness of the paneer, while the spices add a delightful kick to each bite. This dish is not only a favorite in homes but is also commonly found in restaurants across Bihar and Jharkhand. Paneer Pyaza is a culinary gem that showcases the diverse and flavorful cuisine of Bihar and Jharkhand. With its simple preparation and irresistible taste, it has become a staple in households and an all-time favorite among food enthusiasts. So, why not try your hand at making this delicious dish and experience the culinary delight loved by two neighboring states?
There are 5 crore Alzheimer's patients worldwide, lack of memory and forgetting the way are major symptoms, these steps should be taken first
Eat soaked raisins on an empty stomach in the morning, changes will be visible in a month! you won't even believe it
Consuming these dry fruits daily is beneficial