Conrad Sangma sworn in as the 12th chief minister of Meghalaya. He is the chief of National People’ s Party, which allied with the Bharatiya Janata Party and staked claim to form the government in the state and were invited. The oath-taking ceremony was held in state capital Shillong. Eleven other ministers also sworn in at the ceremony.
Here are 8 facts about him:
1) Conrad Sangma was born into a political family in Tura, Meghalaya. PA Sangma, Conrad’s father, is the founder of National People’s Party. His father has served as a speaker in Lok Sabha from 1996 to 1998 and as Meghalaya chief minister from 1988 to 1990.
2) He is one among the highly educated politician and holds a degree in Business Administration from Wharton School of University of Pennsylvania and an MBA from Imperial College, London.
3) Conrad Sangma started his political career as a campaign manager for his father in 1990. He contested his first election at the age of 26, however, he lost it by 182 votes.
4) Contesting for the second time in 2008, he won the election and became Minister of Finance in the state government. He was Meghalaya’s youngest finance minister at the age of 30.
5) Sangma Junior held the position of leader of the opposition for a period of four years between 2009 to 2013.
6) Conrad Sangma assumed the position of NPP’s president after his father's death and also won the Turi constituency Lok Sabha by-polls.
7) Conrad Sangma also serves as the president of Meghalaya Cricket Association and Sports Academy. Sangma is active in social work as well with his association with the PA Sangma Foundation as its president.
8) Married to Dr. Mehtab Chandee, Sangma is blessed with two daughters.