YouTube is the world’s favorite video platform, but there’s a lot you probably don’t know about the site. With that in mind, here are some amazingly interesting YouTube facts for you to check out. The average YouTube user spends between 15 and 25 minutes a day on the site, but how much do we know about the world's largest video sharing website?
- YouTube was created by Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim in 2005 who were all employees of Paypal
- The company was created after one of its founders became frustrated with trying to share video footage of a dinner party. He was unable to do so over email because of attachment size limits.
- The domain name YouTube.com was registered on Valentine’s Day in 2005
- The first video on YouTube is of one of the co-founders Jawed Karim talking about elephant’s trunks titled “Me at the Zoo” shot at the San Diego Zoo.
- The 19 second video has been viewed over 30 million times.
- The longest Video ever on YouTube is 48 hours (2 days!)
- The ‘how to’ video category is the fastest growing vertical on YouTube
- YouTube is the 3rd most visited website in the world.
- The site currently has about 15 billion visitors per month.
- The average user spends 5 hours and 50 minutes per month (not as much as Facebook)
- YouTube is localized in 25 countries across 43 languages
- The number of advertisers using display ads on YouTube increased by 1,000% in the last year
- More than 50% of videos on YouTube have been rated or include comments from the community
- YouTube mobile gets over 100 million views a day