NEW DELHI: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was today warmaly received by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Delhi. The get-together between the two premiers comes in the milieu of a Khalistan-row when Trudeau's wife, Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, was clicked with a convicted pro-Khalistan terrorist, Jaspal Atwal, during an occasion in Mumbai on February 20. Jaspal Atwal was invited for India-Canada event and invitation letter highlighted by ANI as the whole incident sparked controversy.
Here is a look on highlights of the Most Controversial-turned- official Trudeau’s India visit.
* Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau landed in India on February 17 for a week-long visit.
A day before his entrance to Indian soil, PM Trudeau tweeted - "Wheels up for India and a busy visit, focused on creating good jobs and strengthening the deep connection between the people of our two countries."
* Trudeau started his visit with a voyage to iconic Taj Mahal in Agra.
* On February 18, SGPC declared that Canadian Prime Minister during his visit to Amritsar's Golden Temple will be accorded by a warm welcome.
* After paying a visit to the Taj, the Canadian Prime Minister visited the Churmura Wildlife sanctuary in Mathura along with his family.
"@WildlifeSOS is doing important work rescuing captive Asian elephants across India, and giving them a new chance at life. Thanks for the very warm welcome at your sanctuary today," the Canadian PM tweeted.
* On Monday, Trudeau, his wife Sophie and children Xavier, Hadrien and Ella-Grace visited the Sabarmati Ashram in Gujarat's Ahmedabad, which was the residence of Mahatma Gandhi during the freedom struggle.
"A beautiful place of peace, humility and truth, that is as needed today as it ever was," Trudeau signed the visitor's book.
* Post his visit to the Sabarmati Ashram, Trudeau visited the Akshardham Temple in Gandhinagar
* On Wednesday, Punjab chief minister Captain Amarinder Singh confirmed in a tweet that he will meet the Canadian Prime Minister.
"Look forward to meeting Canadian Prime Minister @JustinTrudeau in Amritsar on Wednesday," he tweeted.
During the Meet Punjab chief minister handed over list of nine Convicted terrorist .
Indian government officials denied report of snub to the Canadian premier and insisted normal diplomatic protocol has been extended to Trudeau. They also expressed surprise over the Canadian side preferring to schedule Trudeau's official engagements in Delhi at the fag end of the tour as against the normal practice of having bilateral meetings during the first part of such visits.
* On 21.02.2018, Trudeau held a meeting with Business CEos in Mumbai and said that corporate India has committed $ 1 billion worth of investments in his country, which will create over 5,000 jobs.
* Superstar Shah Rukh Khan and other B-town celebs on Tuesday met Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his family.
* On Wednesday, Trudeau with his family offered prayers at the Golden Temple here, where he was presented with a time-honoured robe of respect.
"I am hopeful that this meeting will help strengthen the close Indo-Canadian business ties as well as the deep-rooted people-to-people relations between our two countries," he added.
Canada cancelled dinner invitation to convicted Khalistani terrorist, who was earlier seen in photographs with Trudeau's wife and one of his ministers.
"Obviously, we take this situation extremely seriously," he told reporters in New Delhi.
"The individual in question should never have received an invitation and as soon as we found out we rescinded the invitation immediately", he added.
On Thursday evening, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, a day before his scheduled meeting with Trudeau, took his official twitor handle and tweeted that he is looking forward to holding talks with the Canadian PM.
"I look forward to meeting PM @JustinTrudeau tomorrow and holding talks on further strengthening India-Canada relations in all spheres. I appreciate his deep commitment to ties between our two countries," Modi tweeted.