Share:
US court terminates $100-million lawsuit against PM Modi, Amit Shah
US court terminates $100-million lawsuit against PM Modi, Amit Shah

Washington: A USD 100-million lawsuit filed against Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah  is dismissed by US court after the litigants - a separatist Kashmir Khalistan outfit and two associates - failed to appear before it at two scheduled hearings.

US District Court Southern District of Texas Judge Frances H Stacy said in his order dated October 6 and recommended that the case be dismissed. He said, "Other than that attempted service," Kashmir Khalistan Referendum Front "have done nothing to prosecute this case", and have now failed to appear at two duly set Scheduling Conferences."

The suit was filed days before Modi's historic "Howdy, Modi!" event in Houston, Texas on September 19, 2019. It challenged the Indian Parliament's decision on Jammu and Kashmir that abrogated the special privileges of the state and sought a compensation of USD 100 million from PM  Modi, Home minister Amit  Shah and Lt. Gen. Kanwal Jeet Singh Dhillon. The case was terminated by Judge Andrew S Hanen of the US District Court in Texas on October 22.


Last year, Prime Minister Modi, accompanied by US President Donald Trump, had addressed a crowd of over 50,000 Indian-Americans at the "Howdy, Modi!" event in Houston.

Also Read: 

Sanjay Gandhi National Park reopens for vacationers just after 9 months

Quality Council launches recognition scheme for food safety and hygiene

104-year-old Assam resident dies fighting to prove his citizenship

 

Related News
Join NewsTrack Whatsapp group