Facebook launched on February 4, 2004, and became the juggernaut of social media. Here in the United States, for example, 67% of Internet users are on Facebook. Love it or hate it, there’s no getting away from Facebook. The social media behemoth’s influence can be seen in every corner of the Web. Here are 10 facts you might not know about Facebook, so read on and let us know your favorites in the comment box.
- Every second there are 20,000 people on Facebook. This means in just 18 minutes there are 11 million users on Facebook
- On average there are 486,183 users a minute accessing Facebook from their mobile
- 79% of all users are accessing Facebook from their mobile.
- There are 745 million daily mobile users
- Facebook is adding 7,246 people every 15 minutes or 8 per second
- Every minute there are 150,000 messages sent
- Every 15 minutes there are over 49 million posts. To be precise 49,433,000 or 3 million posts per minute
- There are 100,000 friend requests every 10 minutes
- There are 500,000 Facebook “likes” every minute
- Facebook generates $1.4 million in revenue every hour
- Nearly 73% of Facebook’s ad revenue comes from mobile advertising
- Facebook earns $2.5 billion a quarter from mobile advertising
- People share 1.3 million pieces of content on Facebook every minute of every day
- In November of 2014the number of video uploads to Facebook exceeded YouTube video uploads according to Social Bakers
- Facebook generated $12.47 billion in sales in 2014 (a rise of 58% year on year)