Life without WhatsApp has become so difficult, probably because we are getting dependent on it. WhatsApp is useful and helpful too, reason why we are addicted to it. It makes messaging and file sharing easiest and with the calling feature it has become pocket friendly. If you get so many features at free of cost then why not. I’m every alternate person reading this, uses it. But how much do you know about it? Read some amazing WhatsApp facts.
- WhatsApp founded in 2009 by former Yahoo! employees Brian Acton and Jan Koum
- Sequoia Capital invested $8 million in 2011
- 70% of users are active on a daily basis
- WhatsApp says they are adding 1 million users everyday.
- They currently employ 50 people
- 32 engineers working on WhatsApp, i.e. one engineer is responsible for 14 million active users!!
- 400 million active users in December
- Rising to 450 million active users according to Facebook’s press release
- The app is the 5th most downloaded app on Android
- WhatsApp doesn’t sell ads and zero have appeared on the app
- Twitter and Facebook had the chance to hire founder Brian Acton but didn’t!
- The total value of the deal: $19 Billion ($4 billion in cash, $12 billion in stock, and $3 billion in restricted stock)
- $1 Billion Break-up fee should the deal not go through.
- Jan Koum keeps a note from Brian taped to his desk that reads “No Ads! No Games! No Gimmicks!” To keep them focused on building a pure messaging experience.
- WhatsApp spent ZERO cash on marketing, PR and user acquisition