Muharram Procession in Delhi Turns Violent with Stone-Pelting, 12 Injured; Police Register 3 FIRs
Muharram Procession in Delhi Turns Violent with Stone-Pelting, 12 Injured; Police Register 3 FIRs

New Delhi:  In a shocking incident, a Muharram procession in the Nangloi neighborhood of outer Delhi on July 29 turned violent, resulting in injuries to multiple policemen and members of the public. The Nangloi police station has registered three First Information Reports (FIRs) and initiated an investigation with the assistance of nearby CCTV cameras to identify the assailants responsible for the stone-pelting.

The first FIR, filed by Nangloi Station House Officer (SHO) Prabhu Dayal, includes sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act. According to SHO Prabhu Dayal's statement, the police intervened when the procession attendees deviated from the predetermined route. Despite not having permission to proceed to Maharaja Surajmal Stadium, the crowd pressured to go there.


It was decided in meetings with Tazia organizers that the procession would proceed towards Surajmal Stadium via the metro station, take a U-turn from the Nangloi depot red light, and return to their designated place. However, some participants from other areas, namely Prem Nagar and Aman Vihar, crossed Kirari Gate and reached the front of Surajmal Stadium via Rohtak Road. Instead of following the designated routes, they attempted to force their way ahead.

Tensions escalated when the police prevented them from entering the stadium and locked its gates. Enraged, some Muslim youths in the Muharram procession resorted to violence, hurling stones at police, moving buses, and damaging police vehicles. The situation spiraled out of control as unruly elements instigated the crowd to enter the stadium.


Videos from the area captured numerous youngsters throwing stones, causing fear and chaos among passersby. In response, the police lathi-charged the offenders and closed the market to restore order. One individual attacked sub-inspector Parveen with a knife, prompting him to defend himself, resulting in injuries.

Numerous police officers and bystanders were injured during the stone-pelting, and vehicles, including those of the Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC), were damaged. The gravity of the situation led the police to use force and implement a lathi-charge to disperse the mob. The incident caused a traffic gridlock on Nangloi Rohtak Road.

Senior police officials from various districts and the Joint Commissioner of Police arrived at the scene to assess the situation. While the situation returned to normal by the evening, the police continued to be present in the area to maintain law and order. The investigation is ongoing, and the police are determined to hold the culprits accountable for their actions during the Muharram procession in Nangloi.

Some actresses Who Transformed Indian Cinema's Soul

Delhi Records Surge in Dengue Cases Amidst Flooding Woes

Indian Army Jawan Reported Missing in Kulgam, Family Appeals for His Safe Return


Join NewsTrack Whatsapp group
Related News