most of the people loves this popular North Indian dish, Rajma masala is best served with steamed rice. at home we also have rajma masala with chapatis or phulkas. you can also serve rajma masala with bread.
2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed under running water
2 tbsps vegetable/canola/sunflower cooking oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 medium-sized onions chopped fine
2 pieces of ginger julienned
6 cloves of garlic minced
2 large tomatoes chopped into 1" cubes
2 fresh green chillies chopped fine
2 tsps coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
A pinch of asafoetida
Chopped coriander to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds. When they stop sizzling, add the onion and fry till soft.
2. Add the ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add the green chillies, tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala powders and fry till the oil separates from the masala.
4. Add the red kidney beans, 3 cups of warm water, asafoetida, salt to taste and cook till beans are very soft (approximately 10 minutes).
5. Mash some of the beans roughly (this thickens the gravy) and Garnish with corainder .
Serve hot with plain boiled rice !